Thursday, May 20, 2010

A Moment of Pleasure, A Milestone for Me

VeeGee and I have a lot of fun, but mostly it's when we talk in the car (on the way to the doc/therapy/surgery/etc.) or in my half-attention while I'm working. K is the roll on the floor guy. I feel like so much of my life with her is planning and researching stuff for her health care (financial and diagnosis-wise), not quite as much is just play.

Some of that is just me. I have a hard time letting go of all the hooha and just sitting down to play. Some is her. She would really rather watch tv than anything in the world most of the time, and so trying to get her to play is awful.

Anyway, yesterday we baked bread together. It was really so lovely. She's getting where she's interested in and willing to follow directions (still won't eat the final product, but that's okay). I know that seems so small, and so many of you are much better at this part of mothering than I am. But, for me, it was just wonderful to feel pleasure in doing it instead of obligation. Does that make sense? It makes me really excited for the summer! She's doing Extended School Year, but that's only until noon, so we'll have more time to play. And I'm actually looking forward to it. Which is a milestone for me!!!!!

No comments: