Saturday, July 21, 2007

Correcting A Therapist - Ick!

Yesterday I had to ask my A's PT (physical therapist) to change the way she spoke about dd's posture and legs. She tells dd to "sit pretty" to correct (necessarily correct) her legs. It had been gnawing at me for a couple of weeks because I don't want dd to be told that what she does **naturally** is **not** pretty. I know the PT doesn't mean it in a negative way, but I so think that, especially as she's developing her own language skills, the language that is used to and about her is so critical. I don't mind people saying that she's pretty, it's not that I have a problem with that. Does this make sense?

So anyway, I asked the therapist to not use pretty as a litmus test. She was really sweet about it, but she did look at me strange.

I'm actually pretty proud of myself!

No comments: