Thursday, May 26, 2005

Get On With It

I'm going to go ahead and do my entry for the day so that I can get on with the interminable thesis writing that has often of late been sacrificed to the god of blog.

We "lost" another artist today at the gallery. His work was, admitedly, crap, but he sells so much during our holiday show that I thought he could be a cash cow for the gallery. I am glad, though, that our clients seem to have a discerning and sophisticated palate - enough, at least, to ignore the crap. I just wish they'd spend more on the good stuff.

It's really hard to keep my chin up sometimes. Artists are so fickle and undependable and often only want to "help" if it means they can tell someone their stuff sucks. It pretty much undermines the whole "cooperative gallery" concept that we've got going on. Don't get me wrong, I have my superstars for sure. I just hate it that they have to shoulder the entire responsibility of being the "good artists" while others, who may sell as well or better, never lift a finger beyond the absolute requirement. But, I suppose, that's life, right? I've only worked one or two places where that wasn't the modus operandi.

Ah, the glamourous, chic and oh-so-exhausting art world!!

No comments: